Wood Faux-Gingerbread Bird Houses
Tools & Supplies:
12 - 1" Wood Circles
Small Embelishments - Plastic Candy, Candy Canes, Gingerbread Men, Colorful Beads or Garlands
White Collage Clay
5 Mini Craft Sticks
Battery Operated Small String of Lights (Optional)
Hot Glue Gun
Deck the halls for the birds! Find out how to make faux-gingerbread houses that would be the envy of any avian friend. See how it's done from Crafts by Amanda
- Start by cutting off the perch from the birdhouse. No need to sand it.
- Paint the outside of the birdhouse with “Brownie.” Let it dry then give it a second coat.
- Meanwhile, paint all the miniature craft sticks with white and let them dry. Paint only one side.
- Use a liner brush dipped in Red Rocket glitter paint to add diagonal lines onto 4 of the 5 white sticks. Set these aside to dry.
- Paint the wood circles (only one side) with Paradise, Orange, Sunshine, Fuchsia, Purple and Shamrock.
- Once the wood circles are dry, add a thin layer of Gold Rush glitter paint. Set aside to dry.
- Follow the directions on the tube of Collage Clay and add “snow” to the roof. It’s similar to piping icing onto a cake!
- Using the star tip included with the Collage Clay, add decorative stars to the front edge of the roof.
- Now that the wood circles are dry, gently press them into the Collage Clay on the roof.
- Use Collage Clay to add your plastic candy embellishments.
- Place the solid white craft stick along the bottom where the door will be to serve as a step.
- Make sure the peppermint craft sticks are dry, then attach them to the front of the house as the door, lining them up next to each other above the “step” stick. Attach a “candy” as the door knob.
- For the second house, smooth out the Collage Clay on the roof with a palette knife. Then use the writer tip to add icicles.
- Use white paint and a liner brush to add the lines on the house.
- After the roof is embellished, sprinkle the roof with white glitter.
Tip: Collage Clay takes a couple of days to dry completely. Be careful when handling your gingerbread houses until they are completely dry.
notE: Birdhouses are for decoration only.